Monday, April 25, 2011

Hey-o!

I am back in civilization, but only for a few days. We came back to Lautoka Saturday afternoon and had a very short day of rest. Yesterday (Sunday) we ran the Easter Sunday service in one of the local churches (which I missed out on because I wasn't feeling too good) and then we had a big meeting with the medical coordinators of the the medical outreach that we are doing at our next location. We also got to meet a DTS team from New Zealand, who are also helping out with the medical outreach. We are in between outreach locations and having a bit of trouble finalizing our accommodations because of the Easter holiday (and because last minute changes is just how Fiji rolls... ). We were suppose to be heading out to Vatakoula this morning (our Monday), but so far, it looks like we won't be leaving today. Instead, we are going to a local church in Lautoka to do kids ministry, which is a favourite among most of the team members. We have a lot of fun with it and the kids are so cute- we teach them songs (mostly songs with silly actions), do puppet shows and little skits for them. The kids love it and so do we.

During the DTS lecture phase, we were required to keep a weekly journal of our feelings and other crap like that. I abhor journaling. I always have and I always will. In a sense it's funny I hate it so much because I am really enjoying writing this blog, which is almost like a journal. During DTS, almost every week, I would write in my journal, “I hate journaling” and I would tell this to Lusi, who was the staff member assigned to meet with me on a weekly basis and read my journal to make sure I wasn't going cuckoo or anything (cuckoo for Jesus is acceptable, but anything beyond that requires help). Lusi is also our team's leader and guess what job she assigned to me during outreach (besides being the Boo-Boo fixer)?! Yup, that's right- I am responsible for journaling our adventures on outreach. I'm pretty sure that either Lusi didn't ever read my journal or she trying to teach me some kind of ridiculous lesson. Or maybe both? Either way, I am stuck journaling. Boo. Anyway, I thought I would share with you the opening page of our team journal and then I'll share what exactly we've been up to...

On April 10, 2011, 7 students and 3 staff members left “home”- the city of Lautoka, to be exact- and set out on the open road, headed to Sigatoka, the first stop on our 7 week adventure. Our purpose? To go and serve like Jesus did. Our quest? To live like Jesus did- a life of love. Our challenges? I'll leave you to answer that one...

You see, although we all believe that it is no accident or coincidence that each of us is here- we were all chosen specifically by God- we are a group of misfits. A strange mix... mixed nuts, perhaps? One look at us and you'd think that you walked into a bad joke of sorts. You know the kind- “a Fijian, an American, a Kiwi and a Korean walk into a bar... “. We are a kaleidoscope of cultures, ages, personalities, shoe sizes, generations, skin colours, languages... but we do have one thing in common: Jesus Christ is our Saviour. If we become united, if we work together in love and with patience and kindness, it will only be because of Him. What else could possibly explain unity in such a group of misfits? What else could explain why 10 people, from six different countries, would give up their rights, their lives, their comforts, to come together for 5 months, to try to be a team, a family? For most of us, it already seems like a miracle occurred, because very few of us thought any unity among us could be possible. But, here we are, a family of misfits- God's family- traveling throughout Fiji, trying to love one another, love others and expand our Father's house.

If God is for us, who can be against us? - Romans 8:31”


So, this is a snap shot of what we are starting with, but only God knows what we will end up with. And yes, I truly am the whitest person in our group, the whitest person in Fiji, the whitest Canadian ever, even after 4 months in Fiji.

Darn camera flashes.

We had an amazing send off when we left on April 10. Not only did the staff pray for and encourage us, each student had their feet washed by a staff member, just like Jesus did to his disciples in John 13:1-17 before sending them out. Seems like such a silly thing to do, but I was in tears as Lusi washed my feet and prayed over me. We then took communion together and had a yummy lunch of quiche (thanks Thelma for your help!), salad and fruit smoothies (Yong Won makes great smoothies!). We then packed ourselves into a 15 passenger minivan (how we got us and all of our stuff in there had to have been a miracle!) and we left for Sigatoka. Sigatoka is on the Coral Coast and we started the week working with an Indian pastor, Pastor Shalen. Whatever accommodation that had been arranged fell through at the last minute, so Pastor Shalen called one of his church members the night before we arrived and they agreed to take us- all 10 of us- in for the week. Bhalu, his wife Nirmala and their 3 children- Anthony, Jordan and Sanam- welcomed us in with open arms and allowed us to literally take over their entire house. The 3 children (who are 14 years old and older) all gave up their rooms and their beds to the girls on the team. They cooked us meals, did our laundry, drove us around and we were always given the first shower (if the water was on- running water is very sketchy at their house- it only comes on a few, random hours of the day). Compared to most outreach locations, we were living in a palace, in luxury. It was so amazing to be able to come back to a home at the end of each day. I couldn't imagine getting a call from my pastor and agreeing to take 10 strangers in on such short notice, giving up my entire house to them, cooking and cleaning for them. To be honest, I feel like the real “missionaries” in this part of our adventure was not us, but it was this family. I was truly humbled by their amazing generosity and love.



During our time with Pastor Shalen, we worked in 3 different villages around Sigatoka, mostly working with Indo-Fijians. We started our week by going around and visiting church members, visiting and praying for them. We also had 2 home groups throughout the week, where church members got together in the evening to worship God, have someone do a brief teaching and, of course, lots of visiting and eating! I got to do a bit of teaching at the Thursday night home group and I think that my message was received very well. On Friday night, we planned the event for the youth group, which ended up being a lot of fun. We played a couple of ice breaker games, did some singing, gave a short talk and then just visited with the group. And, of course, there was food (are you sensing a pattern here???)!

One of the more challenging things that we did was go door knocking. “What's door knocking?”, you ask? Well, you know when Jehovah's Witnesses come and knock on your door to tell you about their religion, taking you away from writing me an awesome email or letter about how much you miss me? That's door knocking. I know, it totally freaked me out too when I heard we were going to go and do that. When JWs come to my door, I normally just don't answer the door or I am pretty standoffish with them. I can't stand having people I don't know coming to my house unannounced. I'm pretty sure that 98.8% of North Americans would agree with me (which is why I would never do this at home, so just breath that sigh of relief... ).

Fijians and Indo-Fijians, like other people from warm climate cultures, are different. They are relational and will welcome anyone, anytime into their homes, giving only their best to their guest. Behind every door were gracious and inviting people, always offering us to come into their homes, out of the sun, offering delicious juice or tea, sometimes even offering to make us a meal. Over the last 2 weeks, in our 2 outreach locations, we probably visited nearly a hundred homes, visiting with families and telling them about Jesus. We were warmly welcomed into Muslim homes, Hindu homes and homes that had no beliefs. We just talked, shared and loved. We never pushed or imposed. Over the last 2 weeks, about 100 people accepted Jesus Christ as their Saviour and they will all be followed up and invited into the local church for more of Jesus' love. For a girl who has hardly shared her beliefs with her friends and family, this was simply amazing to me.

Last Sunday, after we ran the church service for Pastor Shalen and after we had a kids ministry afternoon, we hopped into the back of a big 2 ton truck (we were literally packed in the box of the truck) and drove about 1 hour inland from Sigatoka to an area that most tourists never see. Honestly, in my opinion, it's one of the most beautiful places in Fiji- lush and green, beautiful rolling hills everywhere. We met Pastor Ronald, his wife Tewa and 7 year old son Junior in the Indian community of Nabitu, where they opened up their church to us as our home for the week. We slept on the floor and had running water and electricity (they just got the electricity the week before). Pastor Ronald left the tourism industry a few years ago to come to Nabitu to start a church. He has had to work hard to get his church up and going- this isolated community has had its fair share of pastors come and go, unable to commit to such a community. He is now a very respected man in the area, as he and his family are obviously here for the long term. He is a passionate man who loves God intensely, living by faith and loving those around him. In this area, there are 2 main communities- Nabitu, the Indian community that hosted us and Vunagawa, a nearby Fijian village. This is farming country, mostly referred to as the “salad bowl” of Fiji. There are papaya trees everywhere you look, along with eggplant, bananas, casava and other fruits and veggies. The people in this area work long and hard to provide for their families- they are definitely some of the hardest working people you will every meet. During our week with Pastor Ronald, we went door knocking, we had prayer meetings at the church (aka, our bedroom) nearly every night and we even got to do kids ministry in the nearby Fijian village. That proved to be a bit of a challenge as it was getting dark out and we had no electricity. As in any event, the entire village gathered to watch us play with the children- all by a couple of kerosene lamps. We had a blast with these outgoing kids and the adults all got a kick out of it too. Then, when we were all done, the most amazing thing happened: the entire village thanked us by singing us a Fijian song of thanks and blessing (which I didn't know was tradition). I don't think that I could possible even try to explain how amazing they sounded, how perfectly in harmony the entire village was. As tears welled up in my eyes, I knew it was the most beautiful thing I have ever heard. I do believe that Heaven will sound this way.

Headed to Nabitu on the truck


Rachel, Tikiko & Sitara


Puppet show for the kids at Nabitu Primary School


The cute kids of the Kindy class 


Pastor Ronald, Tewa & Junior in front of their church- our home for the week

So, this is a quick, brief snapshot of what we've been up to so far. I am really enjoying it, but there are a few things that I am missing. For one, being a part of a team 24/7 is exhausting to me. I am an introvert by nature, so being around people all the time makes me really tired. I have really been craving privacy... just some time alone every now and then to feel refreshed, gather some energy. Privacy is definitely a luxury in outreach.

I am also pumped because my package from Canada has finally arrived- it left Canada Jan 26! It has my sleep mat, among other things. Since sleeping on the floor this past week, my sciatica has been acting up, so I'm hoping my spanky new sleep mat will help with that. I'm also pretty fortunate because I have 2 lovely ladies, Kaba and Rachel, who are excellent, gifted massagers. Thank you Ladies for keeping me from being in pain!

It has also been abnormally hot here... I know, there is probably no sympathy out there for me, especially from my Canadian peeps. It seems that all over the world the weather is behaving strangely, and Fiji is no stranger to that. Everyone here kept telling me that once March/April comes, the cooler “winter” weather would come. Well, that has not happened- in fact, it feels hotter than ever here. And there is definitely no such thing as a/c on outreach! In fact, I am currently sitting in the restaurant of the Lautoka Hotel, the only thing open in Lautoka on this Easter Monday, basking in the comfort of the lovely a/c. I'm not hungry or thirsty, I just wanted some a/c. My tummy does not feel so great after my little snack of Coke and fries (which I only ate/drank half), but the a/c is heavenly.

Most of all, I wish you were here too- I am missing you.


Thanks for reading,

Christy


PS- if you'd like to see a few more photos of this part of our outreach, click HERE for a link to my Facebook album.

No comments:

Post a Comment